Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
The past few days I spent making a new tool. I need to be able to measure the distances from fixed points to know when I have moved all the bent sections back to their permanent positions.
I had a 72” piece of 1” square aluminum tubing and found a piece of 1-1/4” square aluminum tubing. I made one end fixed and the other to slide with a locking screw to hold it in place.
Then I used a 14” piece of 5/16 stainless steel rod to make a pointer that also slides to allow for making measurements to uneven locations. I found an old camper cover clamp that I fashioned into a holder for the pointer.
I plan to set the device using one of my other Miatas as a template. I will also check measurements against the OEM Miata specs. Hopefully, this will be accurate enough for this project.
Maybe tomorrow I can get back to work on the car.