F. 1959 MGA Restoration Sill Construction

Send comments to mostlymiata@gmail.com

Other Links

1959 MGA Restoration

Sill Construction

I ordered many of the sheet metal parts I needed just after removing the wings. Those parts have been stored in the shop for over a year now. I believe I have enough parts to mend the body.

Vendor Links

The Parts Group

I also bought a full 5'x9' sheet of 18 gauge steel for making parts. I made some inner sills out of the sheet since I was not satisfied with the 20 gauge inner sills I had purchased. I did use the purchased sills as a pattern to make the new ones.

There are two large holes along each inner sill with indentions to make them stronger. I punched the holes with a hole cutter and made a tool to help shape the indentions. I tested it on some scrap metal and it worked!

I made the inner sills all one piece. I know this was not how the original part was made, but I think it will be better as one piece. I used a cutter from Harbor Freight to cut out the parts.

Now I need to get a better welder so I can install my parts!