G. Rallycross Miata Engine Assembly
Send comments to email@example.com
I put the engine for the Rallycross Miata back together today. I took my time so, hopefully, I will not have to re-do anything.
First I put all the small parts back onto the head and installed it on the block.
I then installed the cam seals using my Flyin Miata seal installer. It worked great!
Then I installed the water snout, backing plate, cam gears and timing belt.
The valve cover and fuel rail were installed next.
Then the intake alternator and intake manifold were installed.
I removed the Fram oil filter and installed a Mobil-1 filter. I also installed the intake brace.
Some of the exhaust studs were missing. I removed some studs from the old head using two nuts tightened back to back.
I used the same two nuts to install the studs on the new head snug enough that they should stay put.
I also installed the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. I used some thread sealer on the flywheel bolts to keep oil from leaking onto the flywheel.
Next, i was going to mount the transmission, but found the nut on this bracket had a bolt broken off in it. So, I cut the old nut off and welded a new nut on. This bracket holds the down pipe in place. I wondered why the bolt was missing when I removed the down pipe.
I put a little self-etching primer on the nut and weld. It may rust but should outlast the car.
I decided to wait until tomorrow to mount the transmission. And I may have enough time tomorrow to re-install the engine.